Indulge in the perfect weeknight meal with this Egg Roll in a Bowl featuring a tantalizing spicy creamy sauce. This dish is not only effortless to prepare but also brimming with nutritious vegetables and packed with protein. The best part? It requires just one pan and approximately 25 minutes to grace your table.
Table of contents
Ingredients for Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Chicken/Shrimp: Opt for one pound of diced chicken breasts or shrimp. For easier chopping, slightly freeze the chicken before dicing.
- Avocado Oil: Utilize two tablespoons of neutral-flavored avocado oil. Vegetable oil is also a suitable alternative.
- Ginger/Garlic: Mince fresh ginger and garlic, ensuring to peel the ginger beforehand.
- Salt/Pepper: Season with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Vegetables: Prepare diced yellow onion, julienned carrots, diced zucchini, and thinly sliced green cabbage.
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce: Enhance the flavor with low sodium soy sauce.
- Garnish: Sprinkle freshly chopped green onions and crispy chow mein noodles on top. Optionally, serve over a bed of ramen noodles.
Spicy Creamy Sauce
Combine kewpie mayonnaise, sriracha, low sodium soy sauce, and maple syrup in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
Instructions for Egg Roll in a Bowl with Spicy Creamy Sauce
- Mix kewpie mayonnaise, sriracha, low sodium soy sauce, and maple syrup in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add one tablespoon of avocado oil. Add minced garlic
- and ginger, sautéing for 30 seconds until fragrant but not brown.
- Add diced chicken or shrimp, seasoning with salt and cracked black pepper. Stir until cooked through and lightly browned, then remove from the pan.
- In the same pan, add the remaining avocado oil. Sauté diced onion, julienned carrots, and diced zucchini for 3-4 minutes. Add thinly sliced green cabbage and season with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Once the cabbage begins to soften, reintroduce the cooked chicken. Add low sodium soy sauce, stir well, and sauté to your preferred cabbage texture.
- Top with chopped green onions and crispy chow mein noodles, or serve over ramen noodles. Drizzle the spicy creamy sauce over the dish and savor it hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can adapt the recipe to be vegetarian or vegan by using plant-based protein alternatives like tofu or tempeh, and opting for a vegan mayonnaise substitute in the creamy sauce.
The spice level can be adjusted to your preference by varying the amount of sriracha in the Spicy Creamy Sauce. Start with a smaller amount and add more if desired.
While it’s best enjoyed fresh, you can prepare components like the Spicy Creamy Sauce and chop vegetables in advance for quicker assembly. However, for optimal freshness, it’s recommended to cook the main components just before serving.
Avocado oil is recommended for its neutral flavor, but you can use other neutral oils like vegetable oil. The choice of oil depends on personal preference.
EGG ROLL IN A BOWL
- 1 large non-stick saute pan
- 1 small mixing bowl dressing
- 1 ib chicken breasts, diced option to use shrimp instead
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic, about 2 cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced, about 1 cup
- 1 small zucchini, diced, about 1 cup
- ½ cup carrots julienned or matchstick carrots
- 1.5 cups green cabbage , thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- salt, to taste
- cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons green onion chopped
- ¼ cup chow mein noodles option to use ramen noodles instead
SPICY CREAMY SAUCE
- ¼ cup kewpie mayonnaise regular mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- In a small mixing bowl, combine kewpie mayonnaise, sriracha, low sodium soy sauce, and maple syrup. Set the sauce aside.Heat one tablespoon of avocado oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and minced ginger, sautéing for 1-2 minutes until fragrant without browning.
- Add diced chicken to the pan and season with salt and cracked black pepper. Stir well and cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit, achieving a light brown color. Remove the cooked chicken from the pan.In the same pan, add the remaining avocado oil. Introduce diced onion, julienned carrots, and diced zucchini, sautéing for 3-4 minutes.
- Incorporate thinly sliced green cabbage into the pan. Season the vegetables with a pinch of salt and cracked black pepper. Once the cabbage starts to soften, reintroduce the cooked chicken.Pour in the low sodium soy sauce, stir well, and continue sautéing. Adjust the cabbage's texture to your liking; I prefer it slightly firm.
- Top the dish with chopped green onions and crispy chow mein noodles.Drizzle the entire dish with the previously prepared spicy creamy sauce.Enjoy this flavorful and hot Egg Roll in a Bowl with Spicy Creamy Sauce.
Serving Size 1g
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 388
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 21g33%
- Saturated Fat 3g15%
- Trans Fat 0.04g
- Cholesterol 78mg26%
- Sodium 851mg36%
- Potassium 709mg21%
- Total Carbohydrate 21g8%
- Dietary Fiber 3g12%
- Sugars 6g
- Protein 29g58%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.